Mental Health Nursing Scholarships
International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses Foundation
A legacy for future advanced practice psychiatric-mental health nursing
- To establish a trust, the income of which is used to support and encourage the activities and purposes of the ISPN for charitable, literary, clinical, research, and educational endeavors.
- To receive and maintain funds and, as appropriate, expend the income in support of and in furtherance of the purposes of ISPN
- To promote psychiatric-mental health nursing and the professional expertise of psychiatric-mental health nurses
- To enhance opportunities for communication among psychiatric-mental health nurses and with the clients/persons they serve who experience mental health challenges
The Goals of the Foundation
- Foster and enhance research and scholarship
- Promote relevant educational preparation for the practice of psychiatric mental health nursing
- Develop partnerships that strengthen the delivery of mental health care around the globe
- Support student and international members' attendance at annual conferences
The Foundation members are the collective ISPN Nurses. Board of Director members manage the business affairs and fulfill the purpose and goals of the Foundation. Each member of the Board is a current member of ISPN in good standing. The Board of Directors is composed of no less than three or no more than seven members, elected by the ISPN Foundation Board. The ISPN treasurer is an ex-officio member of the Foundation Board but without voting rights. Currently there is a Board of Director President, a Treasurer, a Recording Secretary, and four additional members. Members of the Board are appointed to serve for a three year term and may be reappointed for a second three year term. Board meetings are held on a regular basis throughout the year usually via teleconference calls. A face-to-face meeting of Board of Director members is conducted during the annual conference where ISPN members are invited to attend. (as presented in the ISPN Foundation Bylaws)
ISPN was launched in 1998. When it became an organization by combining three organizations (ACAPN, ISPCLN & SERPN) one organization already had a foundation. The Board of Directors for ISPN determined that ISPN needed its own foundation, providing a place for the foundation already in existence-The Robert O. Gilbert Foundation of ACAPN.
In 2001, ISPN President, Dr. Linda Finke charged ACAPN Division Director, Dr. Beth Bonham, and SERPN Division Director, Dr. Lorna Mill Barrell, with developing bylaws for the Foundation.